A Birthday Present {Cross-Posted from Knot by Knot Etc}

http://knotbyknotetc.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/a-birthday-present/

As much as I loathe to admit it, Thursday was my thirtieth birthday {yikes!}.
An early birthday present was the ability to rent a ‘booth’ (more of an end-cap) at a local bookstore, where I will now sell my work!
display at needful things
Setting up a retail display is a lot of hard work and money, especially when you’ve never done it before and don’t have anything needed!   Thankfully, my husband has begun woodworking as a hobby, and so has a table saw and some other things that are going to help out a ton in getting halfway-decent-looking displays made.  The ‘booth’ is a 2′ wide by 8′ tall piece of pegboard, and there are some ideas floating around out there on how to decorate pegboard.  Unfortunately, a lot of those ideas include permanent modifications, like painting, which I will be unable to do.
One idea that I found was to cover the pegboard in burlap, which is hopefully just slightly sparse enough that pegs can be affixed to the board without the need for holes to be cut out.  The burlap can then be painted with stencils and black paint, creating silhouette shapes that can look really awesome.
burlap cork jewelry display with stencil paint
One of my friends also suggested that I make some string art using nails (or pegs) to decorate the top space that no one will be able to reach.
honey and fitz dream string art    Original_Michelle-Edgemont-DIY-Heart-String-Art-Beauty1_s4x3_lg
My husband drew a sketch of what he envisions the ‘booth’ to look like when he’s done.
display concept sketch
Of course he thinks it’s a terrible drawing, so don’t tell him I put it online!  Isn’t it great, though?
I designed and ordered a sign for the booth yesterday, using the name “VeRajArt” instead of Knot by Knot because I imagine I will have a large variety of pieces there, not just macrame.
verajart lawn sign complete crop
Stay tuned for updates and more photos of what the finished display looks like!

Comments